Making a gift of publicly-listed securities such as stocks or mutual fund units to FINCA Canada can offer an attractive investment in a better future for people living in poverty.
Why Give a Gift of Stocks
There are significant tax advantages in donating your shares in stocks or options directly to a charity like FINCA Canada, rather than selling the shares and donating the proceeds.
A charitable donation of publicly-traded securities such as stocks, mutual funds, bonds or futures results in a tax receipt for 100% of the value of the gift on the day of the transfer.
By providing a larger potential deduction than an equivalent gift of cash, this option allows you to maximize your charitable giving.
How to Make a Gift of stocks
The most effective way to donate stocks or securities to FINCA Canada is to have the shares electronically transferred from your brokerage account to FINCA Canada’s account.
Make Your Stock Gift Today
Step 1: Download and complete FINCA Canada’s stock giving form.
Step 2: Send the completed form to Tahrim Huda at [email protected] so we can track, acknowledge, and issue a charitable tax receipt to you for your stock gift.
Step 3: Send the completed form to your financial advisor to initiate the transfer.
- You are exempted from any capital gains tax on a charitable gift of publicly traded stocks or securities. Example of tax advances:
- You might wish to make a charitable gift of $10,000 by selling or donating stocks that cost you $4,000 to purchase, with a capital gain of $6,000. If you sell the stocks and donate the proceeds, you would claim a charitable tax credit for your donation but would also be assessed capital gains tax on 50% of the increase in value of the stocks.
- By donating the stocks directly to FINCA Canada, you get the charitable tax credit for the donation and you are exempted from any capital gains tax. The direct donation option in the example provided would result in a reduction in capital gains tax of up to $1,400, depending on your tax bracket.
- Source: Department of Finance Canada, Budget 2006, Eliminating Capital Gains Tax on Donations to Charities (May 2, 2006)
- The following links will provide you with more detailed information on how to give a gift of stocks or securities to FINCA Canada.
- For more information about your donation of stocks, please contact Tahrim Huda:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 855-903-4622.
- A gift of appreciated securities is a highly tax-effective gift option, whether given today or in the future through a bequest in your will.